Statistics by topic
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery
Statistics produced under this topic describe agriculture and horticulture, forests and forestry, fishing and game husbandry, and hunting. The statistics contain data on related production activities, prices, income, expenditure, assets and debts, as well as reserves and their use.
- Annual Game Bag
- Number of hunters and hunters' game bag by species and by region and the quantity of meat in the annual game bag.
- The food fish and fry production by species and area, number of fish farms and enterprises with natural food pond farmers, quantity of production facilities and the value of food fish production.
- Commercial Inland Fishery
- Number of commercial fishermen and catches by species, by area and by fishing method in inland waters.
- Commercial Marine Fishery
- Number of commercial fishermen and distribution of catch and fishing effort per species, by month, by subdivision and fishing method.
- Commercial Roundwood Removals and Forestry Labour
- The statistics contain monthly commercial (industrial) roundwood removals as well as forestry labour and machines used in timber harvesting.
- Crop Production Statistics
- The statistics contain yield data on the most important crops in Finland.
- Egg Production
- The egg production statistics illustrate the development of egg production by production methods.
- Farm Structure
- The farm structure statistics provide an overall view of the farm, ownership and production structures of the Finnish agriculture as well as of the number and age distribution of farmers.
- Farm Structure Survey
- The Farm Structure Survey provides comparable statistical data on the structures of farms and horticultural enterprises in all EEA countries.
- Fish Processing
- Amount and size of fish processing enterprises and amount of fish processed by species and product group.
- Fish Resources
- Assesment of fish resources.
- Foreign Trade in Fish
- The volume and value of foreign trade in fish and fish products by product group and country.
- Foreign Trade in Roundwood and Forest Industry Products
- Statistics on foreign trade in roundwood and forest industry products are published monthly.
- Forest Protection
- The statistics report the annual areas of protected forests and areas under restricted forestry use by forestry centre area, forestry land class, protection and felling restriction class and forest protection area type.
- Forestry as an Investment
- The statistics show calculations of return on assets (ROA) that allow comparison between ROAs from shares in forestry (timber production), housing companies, all shares and state obligations.
- Horticultural Statistics
- The statistics illustrate the structures of horticultural enterprises engaged in commercial production, cultivation in the open and in greenhouses as well as mushroom growing.
- Meat Production
- The statistics contain monthly and annual information on slaughter volumes (number of carcasses and weight in kilos), average carcass weights and producer prices.
- Meat Production by Area
- The annual statistics on regional meat production contain data on beef, pork and mutton production by area.
- Milk Production by Area
- The annual statistics on regional milk production contain data on milk production and the numbers of milk producers by municipality, Employment and Economic Development Centre and EU support area.
- Milk and Milkproducts Statistics
- The statistics contain monthly and annual information on milk production, the number of milk producers as well as milk product production volumes, domestic sales and inventories, amongst other things.
- Number of livestock
- Depending on the species, livestock numbers are recorded on 1 April or 1 May and on 1 December.
- Operating Profit in Non-Industrial Private Forestry
- The statistics present regional data on income and costs in wood production, as well as operating profit in non-industrial private forestry.
- Ownership of Forest Land
- The statistics contain information on the forest ownership of private persons by region (forestry centres).
- Preliminary Crop Production Statistics
- The statistics provide preliminary crop production data on the most important crops in Finland in July and August.
- Producer Prices for Fish
- The fish price paid to fishermen for fish by species, size class, area and month in the sea area, and the price of vendace in inland waters and farmed rainbow trout by month.
- Producer Prices of Agricultural Products
- The Producer Prices for Agricultural Products statistics measure the prices received by farmers for their products.
- Recreational Fishing
- Number of recreational fishermen, fishing days and catches by species, by area and by fishing method.
- Regional economic agricultural accounts
- Regional economic agricultural accounts statistics are a tool for examining agriculture in different areas of Finland for the purpose of an exhaustive analysis of the agricultural production process.
- Roundwood Removals and Drain by Region
- Annual data are given by forestry centre (13 regions) on commercial removals, total roundwood removals and total drain.
- Silvicultural and Forest Improvement Work
- The statistics show the annual amounts of silvicultural and forest improvement works and the corresponding unit and total costs.
- Statistics on cereal purchased, used and stockpiled by industry and trade
- Quarterly statistics on the volumes of cereals, turnip rape and oilseed rape purchased directly from farmers and the volumes used by the cereal industry.
- Statistics on the finances of agricultural and forestry enterprises
- The statistics on the finances of agricultural and forestry enterprises replace the agricultural enterprise and income statistics produced from 1973 to 2004 as well as the agricultural income and tax statistics.
- Stumpage Earnings
- The statistics show annual stumpage earnings based on roundwood removals and stumpage prices.
- Use of Crops on Farms
- The statistics contain data on use and stocks of grain (wheat, barley, oats and rye) and potatoes on farms by crop year and calendar year.
- Utilised Agricultural Area
- The statistics contain data on the cultivated areas of the most important crops, fallow areas and other agricultural areas in Finland.
- Volumes and Prices in Roundwood Trade
- The statistics present the volumes and prices of roundwood bought by the forest industries from non-industrial, private forests.
- Wood Consumption
- The statistics on annual wood consumption contain information on the use of wood in the forest industries and in energy generation.
- Wood in Energy Generation
- The statistics report the annual use of solid wood fuels for energy production in heating and power plants.
Statistics on completed new buildings and renovations, the Building Cost Index, data on hours worked in construction, and on the finances, activity and structures of construction enterprises are produced under this topic.
- Building and dwelling production
- The statistics on building and dwelling production describe the volume of construction subject to building permits and the volume of production.
- Index of turnover of construction
- The index of turnover of construction describes monthly development in the turnover of construction companies.
- Renovation building
- The statistics on renovation building describe the renovation activity of building construction annually.
Culture and the Media
Statistics under this topic describe the mass media and culture from various perspectives: their finances, structures and use. The statistics describe the division of the population's time use into paid employment, household work, hobbies, use of the media by the population, cultural and other hobbies, physical activities, social participation and social relations.
- Cultural statistics describe production, supply, finances, public support, labour force, education, participation and consumption in diverse fields of art and culture.
- Mass media statistics
- Mass media statistics describe economy, enterprise structures, contents, consumption, audiences, internationalisation and labour force in diverse sectors of the mass media.
The statistics produced within the scope of this topic describe the entire education system from pre-primary to adult education. The Register of Completed Education and Degrees as well as student flow statistics also come under this topic.
- Adult education of educational institutions
- The statistics on adult education of educational institutions contain data on the adult education organised by general educational institutions, polytechnics, universities and summer universities.
- Adult education survey
- Adult Education Surveys have been conducted at Statistics Finland since 1980 at intervals of around five years.
- CVTS, Continuing vocational training survey
- The first continuing vocational training survey (CVTS1) was conducted in 1994 concerning 1993.
- Discontinuation of education
- Statistics Finland has been compiling statistics on discontinuation of post-comprehensive school education from individual-based data on students and qualifications since the academic year of 2000-2001.
- Educational finances
- The statistics on educational finances contain data on the finances and costs of the entire educational system.
- Educational structure of population
- The statistics on the educational structure of the population describe the post-comprehensive school educational qualifications and degrees attained by the population aged 15 and over.
- Employment of students
- These statistics describe employment during studies among students attending post-comprehensive school education.
- Entrance to education
- These statistics describe entrances and admissions to post-comprehensive school education leading to a qualification or degree, and placement in further education of comprehensive school leavers and passers of the matriculation examination immediately after completing the qualification.
- Polytechnic education
- The statistics on polytechnic education contain data on new students in education leading to a polytechnic degree, students of polytechnics, and polytechnic degrees.
- Pre-primary and comprehensive school education
- The statistics on comprehensive schools contain data by individual school on numbers of pupils in comprehensive schools, special schools at the basic level of education, and in schools at the basic and upper secondary general levels of education.
- Progress of studies
- These statistics describe how new entrants to post-comprehensive school education progress in their studies up to the attainment of a qualification or degree.
- Providers of education and educational institutions
- The statistics on providers of education and educational institutions describe the network of education providers and educational institutions that is administered by public authorities, changes that have taken place in it during the year, as well as contain address data for educational institutions and indicate school sizes by data on total number of students per school on 20 September.
- Special education
- Statistics Finland compiles statistics on pupils having received intensified or special support in comprehensive schools, part-time special education and special vocational education.
- Students and qualifications of educational institutions
- Statistics Finland compiles statistics on post-comprehensive school education leading to a qualification or degree, which draw an overall picture of the students and attained qualifications in education leading to a qualification or degree.
- Subject choices of students
- The statistics on subject choices of students contain data on subject choices in comprehensive and upper secondary general schools.
- Transition from school to further education and work
- These statistics examine graduates' employment and entry into further education, and their regional transition within a given time period from graduation.
- University education
- The statistics on university education contain data on new students, students and attained degrees in university education leading to a degree.
- Upper secondary general school education
- The statistics on upper secondary general school education contain data on the educational institutions providing upper secondary general education: upper secondary general schools, basic and upper secondary general level schools and folk high schools.
- Vocational education
- Statistics Finland compiles statistics on students and obtained qualifications in vocational education.
The statistics produced under this topic relate to the results of general elections, persons entitled to vote, voting, candidates and the elected.
- European Parliament elections
- European Parliament elections are held every five years in all Member States of the European Union.
- Municipal elections
- Municipal elections are held in Finland every four years.
- Parliamentary elections
- Parliamentary elections are held in Finland every four years.
- Presidential elections
- Presidential elections are held in Finland every six years as direct, popular elections.
Statistics concerning the production, consumption, imports, exports and prices of energy, and investments in energy come under this topic, as well as statistics on environmental emissions from the consumption and production of energy.
- Consumption of hard coal
- The statistics describe the use of hard coal in generation of electricity and heat in Finland.
- Energy consumption in households
- Statistics on energy consumption in households describe the annual amount and structure of energy consumption related to housing and from which sources energy is acquired for heating residential buildings.
- Energy prices
- The statistics present information about energy prices and energy taxes and tax-like payments.
- Energy supply and consumption
- The statistics present information about total consumption of energy, electricity production and total consumption and imports and exports of energy.
- Energy use in manufacturing
- The statistics on energy use in manufacturing describe the use of energy in manufacturing by energy source, industry and region.
- Production of electricity and heat
- The statistics describe the production of electricity and heat and fuels consumed on production in Finland.
The scope of this topic extends to statistics describing the financial statements of enterprises, corporations and enterprises and their establishments, and to monthly indicators on business activity.
- Enterprise openings and closures
- These statistics are derived from data in Statistics Finland’s Business Register.
- Finnish affiliates abroad
- The statistics describe the global location of Finnish enterprises’ activities and the significance of these activities abroad.
- Foreign affiliates in Finland
- The statistics describe the activities of foreign affiliates located in Finland.
- Foreign direct investments
- Direct investments to Finland describe the capital that a foreign investor has invested directly in a unit located in Finland under the investors' control or influence.
- Regional statistics on entrepreneurial activity
- The regional statistics on entrepreneurial activity contain data on the establishments of enterprises operating in Finland by industry and region.
- Statistics on business subsidies
- The statistics on business subsidies contain data on business subsidies by type of subsidy.
- Statistics on manufacturing and trade inventories
- The statistics on manufacturing and trade inventories describe the current priced values of inventories of manufacturing and trade enterprises by industry.
- Structural business and financial statement statistics
- The structural business and financial statement statistics describe enterprises operating in Finland.
- Turnover estimate of large enterprises
- The turnover estimate of large enterprises describes the development of turnover in the most important enterprises in their industries at a lag of around one month from the end of the statistical reference month.
Environment and Natural Resources
The statistics covered by this topic concern the state of the environment and natural resources and changes in them, people's environmental attitudes, and wastes, emissions and environmental protection.
- Economy-wide material flow accounts
- Economy-wide material flow accounts describe in units of mass (tonnes) the volume of materials ex-tracted, transferred or transformed from nature.
- Emissions into air by industry
- In the statistics on emissions into air by industry, emissions are presented according to the industrial classification used in national accounts.
- Environmental and energy taxes
- These statistics on environment-related taxes and charges describe the amounts and shares of total tax revenues of the environmental taxes and charges collected by the public sector.
- Environmental goods and services sector
- Statistics on the environmental goods and services sector describe business activities involving the environment practised in Finland.
- Environmental protection expenditure in industry
- The statistics on environmental protection expenditure in industry describe the demand for environmental protection in industry.
- Forest accounts
- Forest accounts describe changes in the resources and flows of wood material, as well as their values in the national economy.
- Greenhouse gases
- Annual reporting of emissions of the greenhouse gases specified in the Kyoto Protocol to the Secretariat of the UNFCCC comprises emission calculations in a common form (CRF tables) and a related background report (National Inventory Report).
- Hydrological Yearbook
- The Hydrological Yearbook comprises annual treatises on hydrological conditions in Finland.
- Land Surveying. Year Statistics of the National Land Survey
- Surveying is a publication provided by the NLS on general
statistics showing the number of yearly performances of the
different operational units in the NLS regarding both real
estate duties and mapping duties.
- Monthly Hydrological Report
- Monthly hydrological report contains monthly hydrological observations within the territory of Finland.
- Public sector environmental protection expenditure
- The statistics on the public sector’s environmental protection expenditure describe the amount of money central and local governments spend annually on environmental protection.
- Waste statistics
- These statistics monitor changes in the volumes of waste, waste treatment methods and proportions of hazardous waste.
Financing and Insurance
Statistics describing financing and insurance activity, including those on the structure of the financial market, supply and demand of financial instruments, and interest rates are produced under this topic. The scope also extends to key data on the activities and financial statements of units operating on the financing and insurance markets.
- Financial leasing
- The statistics on financial leasing contain data by sector, industry and object on the financial leasing activities of credit institutions and other lessors.
- Financial statement statistics on credit institutions
- Statistics Finland has been publishing harmonised statistics from the financial statements of all credit institutions in compliance with the Ministry of Finance’s decree on financial statement formulas since 1995.
- Insurance Activities
- The statistics describe the activities of non-life, life and pension insurance companies.
- Investment service companies
- Statistics Finland has been publishing quarterly and annual financial statement statistics on investment service companies since the situation at year-end 1998.
- Outstanding credit
- These statistics show distributions of the outstanding credit stock and new loans drawn by lender and borrower sector, industry of the borrower, financial claim category and the purpose of use of credit.
Statistics describing the finances and activities of general government, such as those on the financial statements of municipalities and joint municipal boards come under this topic. The scope of the topic also extends to statistics on the support and funding granted by central government and public financial corporations to non-financial corporations, on the productivity of government activities, and on general government deficit and debt.
- Central government guarantees
- The table on central government guarantees contains data by sector on new central government guarantees, written off guarantees, stock of guarantees, paid indemnities, and revenues from recovery claims and repayments of new central government guarantees granted by the state, state-owned companies and special credit institutions.
- Finances and activities of municipalities and joint municipal boards
- These statistics contain data on the revenues and costs, investments, financing, assets, debts and activities of municipalities and joint municipal boards.
- General government debt by quarter
- The purpose of quarterly reporting on general government debt is to follow the indebtedness of public economies in EU Member States in accordance with the Growth and Stability Pact of the EU.
- General government deficit and debt
- These statistics contain data on the deficit and debt of government finance in Finland.
- General government expenditure by function
- The statistics describe general government expenditure by function and sub-sector on the basis of national accounts data.
- General government financial accounts
- General government financial accounts describe financial assets and liabilities of general government and financial transactions with an effect on their volumes by quarter.
- General government revenue and expenditure by quarter
- The statistics describe quarterly data on the revenue and expenditure of general government.
- Quarterly local government finances
- Quarterly local government finances describe development in the finances of Finnish municipalities and joint municipal boards in Mainland Finland by quarter according to the execution of budgets.
- Statistics on central government productivity
- The statistics describe volume changes in the output, labour input and total input of state accounting offices and institutions and changes in work and total productivity calculated from them.
- Statistics on local government productivity
- The statistics describe volume changes in the output and total input of education, health and social work of municipalities and joint municipal boards and changes in total productivity calculated from them.
- Taxes and tax-like payments
- The statistics on taxes and tax-like payments contain data on the taxes and compulsory social security contributions central and local governments and social security funds collect annually.
Statistics describing the population's state of health, prevalence of diseases, incapacity for work, health behaviour and causes of death come under this topic. Statistics describing health care are also presented under Social protection and data on the number of deaths under Population.
- Alcoholic Beverage Consumption
- The statistics cover both documented and undocumented consumption of alcoholic
- Causes of death
- Statistics Finland produces statistics on causes of death and on the development of mortality.
- Congenital Malformations
- The data are based on the National Institute for Health and Welfare Register of Congenital Malformations, which contains data on congenital anomalies detected in stillbirths or live births as well as in fetuses in selective terminations of pregnancy.
- Health Care Professionals
- The statistics contain data on licensed health professionals and health professionals with a
protected occupational title.
- Health Expenditure and Financing
- In 2008, National Institute for Health and Welfare brought into use a new national system of accounting health expenditure and financing that is based on the OECD System of Health Accounts (SHA).
- Health-Centre Outpatient Care
- National Institute for Health and Welfare annually gathers data from health centres concerning the outpatient care that they provide.
- IVF Treatments
- The IVF Treatments statistics contain information on in vitro fertilisations (IVF) from 1992 onwards and on inseminations from 2006 onwards.
- Induced Abortions
- The data are based on the Register of Induced Abortions and Sterilisations at National Institute for Health and Welfare, which receives the data from the operating physician.
- Inpatient Health Care
- The statistics contain data on inpatient care in health centres and hospitals (including day
- Outpatient Specialised Health Care
- Data on outpatient specialised health care are gathered from health service providers
- Perinatal statistics - parturients, deliveries and newborns
- The data are based on the National Institute for Health and Welfare Medical Birth Register, which contains data on mothers given birth and children born in Finland.
- Private Health Care Provision
- The statistics are based on activity reports submitted by private health-care providers to
State Provincial Offices.
- The data are based on the Register of Induced Abortions and Sterilisations at National Institute for Health and Welfare, which receives the data from the operating physician.
- Tobacco statistics
- National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) compiles tobacco statistics at the commission of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.
Statistics describing the building and dwelling stock, dwelling occupancy, the population's housing conditions and occupancy rates, as well as structures and stages in life of household-dwelling units are produced under this topic. Its scope also extends to statistics concerning dwelling prices and rents, and financial statements of housing corporations.
- Buildings and free-time residences
- The statistics on buildings and free-time residences are produced annually and describe the existing stock and number of buildings and free-time residences on the last day of the year.
- Dwellings and housing conditions
- The statistics on dwellings and housing conditions are produced annually and describe the existing stock, number of dwellings and housing conditions of household-dwelling units on the last day of the year.
- Finance of housing companies
- The statistics on the finance of housing corporations measure the cost of housing in housing corporations, and analyse its composition and reasons for differences in it.
- Indices of owner-occupied housing prices
- Indices of owner-occupied housing prices describe the costs of purchasing and owning owner-occupied dwellings, as well as the development of purchase prices of dwellings.
- Prices of dwellings in housing companies
- The statistics on prices of dwelling in housing companies describe the development in the prices of old dwellings.
- Real estate prices
- These statistics describe the levels of the prices and changes in the prices of single-family houses and single-family house plots quarterly and annually.
- Rents of dwellings
- Statistics on rents (quarterly and annual statistics) depict the level of rents in the rental dwelling stock, and quarterly and annual changes in rents.
Income and Consumption
This topic covers statistics on the amounts, distribution and structure of the income and assets of households and income recipients, and on household consumption expenditure and its structure, ownership of consumer durables, and use of services.
- Consumer survey
- The consumer survey expresses consumers’ views and intentions relating to economic matters.
- Households’ assets
- The wealth survey describes household’s assets: their total amount, structure and distribution among different population groups.
- Households’ consumption
- Statistics Finland's Household Budget Survey produces data on changes in the consumption expenditure of households and on differences in consumption by population group.
- Income distribution statistics
- The income distribution statistics describe the distribution of the annual income of households and income differentials between different population groups.
- Statistics on indebtedness describe the debts of private persons and household-dwelling units.
- Taxable incomes
- Statistics on taxable incomes (formerly Statistics on income and property) describe the income subject to taxation, deductions, liabilities and taxation of private persons.
- Total statistics on income distribution
- The total statistics on income distribution describe the annual income of register households and their distribution especially from the regional perspective.
Statistics under this topic describe offences recorded by the police, offences considered by courts of justices, prosecutions, sentences, punishments given and enforcement of sentences, and activities of the police, prosecutors and courts of justice, and debt matters.
- Statistics Finland publishes statistics on the bankruptcy cases instigated and decided by district courts.
- Business restructuring proceedings
- Statistics Finland publishes statistics on the business restructuring cases pending and concluded at district courts.
- Coercive measures
- The statistics on coercive measures relate to coercive methods used by the police and the customs and in that respect to the description of the activities of the police.
- Decisions by administrative courts
- The statistics describing the activities of administrative courts contain data on court decisions by type of case and on the times taken by the decisions.
- Decisions by courts of appeal
- The statistics on courts of appeal describe the civil and criminal cases pending and concluded during the year.
- Decisions by district courts in civil cases
- These statistics on civil cases describe civil cases instigated and decided by district courts during the year by district court and type of case.
- Decisions by district courts in criminal cases
- These statistics on criminal cases describe criminal cases instigated and decided by district courts during the year by district court and type of case.
- Decisions by the Supreme Administrative Court
- The statistics describing the activity of the Supreme Administrative Court contain data on court decisions by type of case.
- Decisions by the Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court is the highest court instance for criminal and civil cases in Finland.
- Decisions by the prosecutor
- The statistics on decisions by the prosecutor are comprised of two parts: statistics on cases concluded by the prosecutor and statistics on waived charges.
- Enforcement matters
- Statistics Finland publishes statistics on enforcement matters pending and concluded in the enforcement districts of the Ministry of Justice, and on debtors in these matters.
- Offences known to the police
- The statistics on offences known to the police describe the regional distribution of offences and activities of the police.
- Prosecutions, sentences and punishments
- These statistics contain data on the sentences issued and waived, and charges rejected by courts of first instance.
- Public legal aid
- Statistics on public legal aid describe the matters pending and concluded by public legal aid offices during the year.
- Restructuring of debts
- Statistics Finland publishes statistics on cases concerning the restructuring of private debts handled and concluded by district courts.
Statistics describing the labour force, participation in it, employment and unemployment are produced under this topic. The scope of the topic also extends to statistics on job vacancies, occupational accidents and labour disputes, and to statistics describing working conditions and changes in them.
- Employment Service Statistics
- The Ministry of Employment and the Economy compiles Employment service statistics on the clients of the employment and economic development offices: jobseekers (most unemployed jobseekers) registered at the employment and economic development offices, vacancies reported by employers and services which aim to advance the employment of the job seekers.
- Job vacancy survey
- The job vacancy survey produces quarterly information about open job vacancies in Finland.
- Labour force survey
- The Labour Force Survey collects statistical data on the participation in work, employment, unemployment and activity of persons outside the labour force among the population aged between 15 and 74.
- Occupational accident statistics
- The statistics on occupational accidents contain annual data on the occupational accidents that have occurred to wage and salary earners and own-account workers in agriculture.
- Quality of work life survey
- The quality of work life survey is an extensive personal interview survey conducted since 1977 to monitor employees’ working conditions and changes in them.
- Statistics on labour disputes
- The statistics on labour disputes describe the labour disputes organised in Finland by employees or employers.
Statistics describing human relationships, welfare, quality of life, social participation and security come under this topic. Also included are statistics concerning the living conditions of different population groups.
- Leisure survey
- The leisure survey is an interview survey studying the population’s leisure hobbies and social participation and changes in them, as well as participation in them by different population groups.
- Time use survey
- The time use survey is an interview survey in which the respondents keep an accurate diary of their time use over a two-day period.
Statistics on the activities of manufacturing establishments, such as data on their structure and commodities, and on the activity, structures and inventories of manufacturing enterprises, and indices measuring development in the volume of output are produced under this topic.
- Index of turnover in industry
- The index of turnover in industry describes development in the turnover of manufacturing enterprises.
- Industrial output
- The statistics on industrial output contain data on sold and total outputs by commodity heading.
- New orders in manufacturing
- The index of new orders in manufacturing describes development in the value of new orders received by enterprises for commodities and services that are meant to be produced by establishments located in Finland.
- Volume index of industrial output
- The volume index of industrial output describes the relative change in the volume of industrial output at fixed prices when compared with a specific base period.
Statistics produced according to the system of national accounts come under this topic. National accounts are compiled in Finland in accordance with the European System of Accounts (ESA 95). The statistics comprise annual, quarterly, financial and regional accounts.
- Annual national accounts
- National accounts is a statistical system that describes Finland’s national economy comprehensively, systematically and precisely.
- Balance of payments and international investment position
- The balance of payments statistics has been transferred from the Bank of Finland to Statistics Finland starting from 1 January 2014.
- Culture satellite accounts
- Culture Satellite Accounts are a statistical system which aims at describing the economic contribution of culture.
- Financial accounts
- Financial accounts describe the financial balance sheets and financial transactions of all sectors of the national economy.
- Supply and use tables and the input-output tables based on them describe in detail product flows in the national economy.
- Productivity surveys
- A distinctive feature of Finnish economic growth, especially since the Second World War, has been the major significance of growth in productivity.
- Quarterly national accounts
- Quarterly national accounts describe Finland’s economy systematically and according to the same con-cepts and definitions as annual national accounts, but at a more aggregated level.
- Quarterly sector accounts
- Sector accounts are part of national accounts.
- Regional Account
- Regional accounts are an extension of national accounts from which data are available by sub-regional unit, region, major region, as well as by other regional divisions based on municipalities if required.
- Regional input-output tables
- Regional input-output statistics comprise regional supply and use tables and the input-output tables based on them.
- Tourism account
- Tourism Satellite Account (TSA) is a statistical system where the economic impacts of tourism are described in a versatile and comprehensive manner.
- Trend Indicator of Output
- The Trend Indicator of Output endeavours to forecast the monthly development of the national economy.
This topic covers statistics on the size and structure of the permanently resident population and related changes, such as births, deaths, marriages, migration. Statistics on employment, families and household-dwelling units, as well as population projections by area are also produced under this topic.
- The statistics on adoptions contain data about children adopted from Finland or abroad by a person or persons permanently resident in Finland.
- The statistics on births contain all the children whose mother was permanently resident in Finland at the time of their birth.
- Changes in marital status
- The statistics on changes in marital status describe changes in the marital status of men and women permanently resident in Finland.
- Citizenships granted
- These statistics describe the foreign citizens permanently resident in Finland who have been granted Finnish nationality during the statistical year.
- The statistics on deaths cover persons permanently domiciled in Finland on the day of death.
- Employment statistics are annual statistics providing data by region on the population’s economic activity and employment.
- Families are formed at the turn of the year from persons living in the same dwelling according to the population information system of the Population Register Centre.
- The statistics on migration describe the moving of individual persons.
- Population projection
- Population projections describe future population developments.
- Population structure
- These statistics on the structure of the population describe Finnish and foreign citizens permanently resident in Finland at the turn of the year.
- Preliminary population statistics
- The preliminary population statistics contain data on population changes and population structure.
Prices and Costs
Statistics depicting prices and the development of costs, as well as price and cost indices describing changes in them are produced under this topic.
- Alcoholic beverage price trends
- The statistics describe trends in the consumer prices of alcoholic beverages, describing price changes in relation to a chosen reference point.
- Building cost index
- The building cost index describes relative changes in the building costs of building works and buildings of essentially identical structures by monitoring developments in the prices of the basic inputs used in their building.
- Consumer price index
- The Consumer Price Index describes the price development of goods and services purchased in Finland by households resident in Finland.
- Cost index for earth movers
- The cost index for earth movers describes changes in the cost factors of prices connected with the use and ownership of earth movers.
- Cost index of bus and motor-coach traffic
- The cost index of bus and motor-coach traffic measures development in the cost factors of prices connected with the practising of bus and motor-coach traffic.
- Cost index of civil engineering works
- The cost index of civil engineering works describes changes in the costs incurred by civil engineering enterprises from the purchase and use of inputs.
- Cost index of forest machinery and vehicles
- The Cost index of forest machinery and vehicles describes changes in the cost factors of prices of forest machinery and vehicles.
- Cost index of road transport of goods
- The cost index of road transport of goods measures changes in the cost factors of prices of road transport of goods for hire or reward.
- Cost indices of taxi and ambulance transport
- The cost indices of taxi and ambulance transport describes changes in the cost factors of prices of taxi, disabled taxi and private ambulance transport.
- Index of producer prices of agricultural products
- The index of producer prices of agricultural products measures developments in the producer prices of vegetable and animal products.
- Index of purchase prices of the means of agricultural production
- The index of purchase prices of the means of agricultural production measures the price developments in the cost factors of agriculture.
- Index of real estate maintenance costs
- The index of real estate maintenance costs describes development in the prices of diverse real estate maintenance tasks, such as administration, running and servicing, upkeep of outdoor areas, cleaning, heating, water supply and waste management.
- International price comparison
- The objective of international price comparing is to produce purchasing power parities.
- Price index of public expenditure
- The price indices of public expenditure (PIPE) measure the development of prices in the expenditure of central and local governments.
- Producer price indices
- The producer price indices measure the development of commodity prices from the perspective of enterprises.
- Producer price indices for services
- Producer price index for services describes the price development in business services provided by enterprises to other enterprises and the public sector.
- Purchase Price Statistics of Real Estates
- The National Land Survey (NLS) maintains a register of real estate sales showing all conveyances including sales, exchanges, donations and contracts on partition an also precontracts on sale of real estate.
Science, Technology and Information Society
Statistics describing the information society, including R&D activity and its funding and resources, and patent applications and innovation activity of enterprises are produced under this topic. The scope of the topic also extends to the production of data on the use of information and communications technology and telecommunications.
- Government R&D funding in the state budget
- The statistics describe the funding allocated in the state budget to research and development.
- Human resources of science and technology
- Highly educated and skilled personnel is a key resource for science and technology.
- The innovation survey carried out every second year is part of the joint project Community Innovation Survey (CIS) coordinated by Eurostat and made in all EU Member States.
- These statistics contain data on patents applied for and granted in Finland by applicant (private person/enterprise and domestic/foreign), industry, the International Patent Classification and geographic area.
- Research and development
- The statistics on research and development describe the resources used for research, and for product and process development.
- Use of information and communications technology by individuals
- The purpose of the survey on Use of information and communications technology is to produce data about ICT usage in households and by individuals.
- Use of information technology in enterprises
- These statistics describe the use of information technology in enterprises and electronic business activities.
This topic includes statistics on service sectors describing such as the activity and structures of business service and hotel and restaurant enterprises and service activities of enterprises. Statistics on international trade in services go under Trade.
- Business Services Statistics
- Business services statistics describe the structure of turnover and services produced in certain branches of industry providing business services.
- Turnover of service industries
- The index of turnover of service industries describes development in the turnover of service branch enterprises (excluding trade).
Statistics on social protection in Finland, effected through the payment of pensions and other income security benefits and on the provision of social and health services are produced under this topic. The statistics contain data on the expenditure and financing of social and health care, social protection benefit recipients and amounts, and social and health care services and their producers.
- Child Benefit
- The child benefit is one of the statutory public benefits aimed at defraying the cost of raising a child.
- Child Day Care Subsidies
- Statutory child day care subsidies are provided in the form of monthly benefits to families.
- Child Maintenance Allowance
- The child maintenance allowance is a Kela benefit aimed at providing economic security to children who do not receive child support from a liable parent.
- Child Maintenance and Custody
- The statistics are based on summary data that National Institute for Health and Welfare
receives from municipalities on child maintenance and custody.
- Child Welfare
- The data are based on data in the National Institute for Health and Welfare Child Welfare Register concerning children and young persons placed outside the home and on summary data that National Institute for Health and Welfare receives annually from municipalities on children and young persons receiving support in community
care as part of a child welfare intervention.
- Conscript's Allowance
- The purpose of the conscript's allowance is to provide economic security for male conscripts, female volunteers and family members during military and alternative civilian service.
- Disability benefits and services provided by Kela
- The statistics on disability benefits and services provided by Kela cover the benefits paid by Kela to persons with disabilities: disability allowance for persons under 16 years, disability allowance for persons aged 16 or over, care allowance for pensioners and dietary grant and the interpreting services for the disabled.
- Expenditure on Social Assistance
- Preliminary Statistics on Social Assistance are compiled based on data collected once a year from municipalities on social assistance recipients.
- Financial Aid for Students
- The statistics on Financial Aid for Students by Social Insurance Institution of Finland offer information about publicly funded financial assistance for students.
- General Housing Allowance
- The statistics on the general housing allowance contain data on payments of general housing allowance by Kela.
- Housing Allowance for Pensioners
- The statistics on the housing allowance for pensioners contain data on payments of housing allowance for pensioners by Kela.
- Institutional Care and Housing Services in Social Care
- The statistics are based on the Care Register for Social Welfare.
- Maternity Grant
- The maternity grant is one of the statutory public benefits aimed at defraying the cost of raising a child.
- Occupational Health Care
- The occupational health care statistics contain data on the occupational health services for which Kela provides reimbursements.
- Parenthood Allowances
- Residents of Finland are insured under the Health Insurance Act.
- Pensioners and Insured in Finland
- The statistics Pensioners and insured in Finland provides an overview of the finnish earnings-related pension scheme.
- Pensions Provided by Kela
- The Finnish pension system is comprised, broadly, of two statutory schemes which respectively provide national pensions and earnings-related pensions.
- Private Social Care Provision
- National Institute for Health and Welfare annually collects data from private providers of social services on their activities
- Regular Home Care
- Client-specific data have been gathered on clients in regular home care every other year as part of notifications to the Care Registers for Social Welfare and Health Care (from 2007 onwards, data are gathered every year).
- Rehabilitation Benefits and Services Provided by Kela
- The statistics on the rehabilitation benefits and services provided by Kela present a general picture of the rehabilitation implemented by Kela nationwide.
- Reimbursement Entitlements in Respect of Medicines
- The statistics on reimbursement entitlements in respect of medicines are based on the National Health Insurance reimbursement system for medicine expenses.
- Reimbursements for Medical Expenses
- All permanent residents of Finland are covered under the Finnish National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme and are eligible for reimbursement of medical expenses under the Health Insurance Act.
- Reimbursements for Prescription Medicines
- The statistics on reimbursements for prescription medicines are based on the reimbursement of pharmaceutical expenses.
- School Transport Subsidies
- The school transport subsidy is one of the means for supporting participation in education.
- Sickness Allowance
- All residents of Finland are insured under the Health Insurance Act.
- Social Assistance
- The annual Social Assistance statistics are based on the National Institute for Health and Welfare Social Assistance Register, in which data are gathered from municipalities on recipient households and their size and structure and the duration and level of assistance.
- Social Protection Expenditure
- The social protection expenditure account is based on data derived from a number of
statistics, annual reports, financial statements and other similar sources.
- Statistics on Pensioners in Finland
- The statistics on pensioners in Finland give a comprehensive overall picture of the pensions paid by the Finnish earnings-related and residence-based national pension schemes.
- Total Expenditure on Pensions in Finland
- Finland has a diversified pension system.
- Unemployment Benefits Provided by Kela
- The statistics on the benefits paid by Kela in respect of unemployment present a general picture of the basic unemployment-related benefits provided by Kela.
- Unemployment Protection in Finland
- The statistics on unemployment protection in Finland provide a general picture of income replacement in the event of unemployment.
This topic covers statistics describing foreign and domestic trade. The statistics on foreign trade depict trade in goods and services between Finland and other EU countries and between Finland and third countries, that is, internal and external trade. The topic includes statistics on domestic trade that describe retail and wholesale trade. The produced statistics also include value, volume and price indices.
- Foreign trade of goods
- Foreign Trade Statistics describes the trade in commodities between Finland and other EU Member States, and between Finland and Third Countries, i.
- High technology foreign trade
- These statistics describe foreign trade in high technology products between Finland and other countries.
- International trade in services
- Statistics on international trade in services describe Finnish enterprises’ international sales and imports of services by service type and target country.
- Periodic survey of motor vehicle trade
- The periodic survey of motor vehicle trade is produced at specific intervals as an inquiry directed to enterprises.
- Periodical regional survey of trade
- The periodical regional survey of trade describes the number and turnover of local units (outlets) engaged in retail trade sales and the sales floor areas of enterprises engaged in retail trade in different areas of Finland.
- Periodical survey of retail trade
- The survey of retail trade is conducted at intervals of a fixed number of years as an inquiry among enterprises that cover all branches of retail trade.
- Periodical survey of wholesale trade
- The periodical survey of wholesale trade is conducted as an inquiry of enterprises covering all wholesale trade industries.
- Turnover of trade
- The index of turnover of trade describes development in the turnover of enterprises engaged in trade.
- Unit Value and Volume Indexes of the Foreign Trade of Goods
- These statistics describe the price and quantity development of foreign trade of goods and changes therein.
Transport and Tourism
Transport statistics describing registered vehicles, road and rail networks and traffic, goods transport by road, domestic and foreign waterborne traffic, air traffic and traffic accidents are produced within the scope of this topic. The statistics on tourism describe overnighting at accommodation establishments, domestic and foreign trips, and foreign tourism in Finland.
- Accommodation statistics
- Accommodation statistics describe the supply and use of hotel services, and provide data on the numbers of users of these services and on overnight stays.
- Border Interview Survey
- The Border Interview Survey is a project carried out and financed jointly by Statistics Finland and the Finnish Tourist Board and it has been ongoing year-round from 1998.
- Canal Traffic
- The statistics on traffic through the Saimaa Canal and other canals in Finland include data on goods and passenger transports in international and domestic traffic and on the vessel traffic in Saimaa Canal.
- Domestic Waterborne Traffic
- The statistics on domestic waterborne traffic include information about the transport of goods and passengers in coastal and domestic traffic to and from ports in Finland.
- Finnish Road Statistics
- Finnish Road Statistics have time-series data about road traffic, road network and traffic accidents.
- Finnish Travel
- The Finnish Travel Survey contains information on trips made by Finnish residents and on persons having travelled.
- First registrations of motor vehicles
- Statistics Finland�s statistics on motor vehicles are based on the vehicle traffic register of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency, which contains data on all road transport vehicles liable for registration on Mainland Finland.
- Foreign Shipping Traffic
- The statistics on shipping between Finland and foreign countries comprise information on the waterborne transport of goods and passengers as well as on the vessels in international trade calling Finnish ports.
- Goods transport by road
- The statistics on goods transport by road divide into two separate surveys on domestic transport and international transport.
- Income and expenditure of foreign sea transport
- The statistics on the income and expenditure of foreign sea transport describe the flows of currency in foreign sea transport at current prices.
- Merchant Fleet
- The merchant fleet statistics contain information about the vessels registered in Finland in terms of number, gross and net tonnage and deadweight (dwt).
- Motor vehicle stock
- Statistics Finland�s statistics on motor vehicles are based on the vehicle traffic register of the Finnish Transport Safety Agency, which contains data on all road transport vehicles liable for registration on Mainland Finland.
- Statistics on road traffic accidents
- The statistics on road traffic accidents contain diverse data on road traffic accidents involving personal injury and on persons killed and injured in them since 1931.
Wages, Salaries and Labour Costs
The scope of this topic extends to statistics on the levels of earnings and numbers of wage and salary earners, as well as labour costs and their structure, including the Survey of Wage and Salary Structures, Index of Wage and Salary Earnings and the Labour Cost Index.
- Central government monthly salaries
- The statistics on central government monthly salaries describe the numbers and earnings of employees remunerated within the framework of the national budget by variables like industry, occupation, education, gender and age.
- Index of wage and salary earnings
- This is an index measuring development in wage and salary earners’ earnings for regular working hours.
- Labour cost index
- The labour cost index measures the quarterly change in average labour costs per hour worked.
- Labour cost survey
- The labour cost survey describes the level and structure of labour costs at fixed intervals of years.
- Local government sector wages and salaries
- The statistics on local government sector wages and salaries describe the numbers and earnings of employees of municipalities and joint municipal boards by variables like industry, occupation, education, gender and age.
- Private sector hourly wages
- The statistics on private sector hourly wages describe the numbers and earnings levels of hourly paid employees by gender, age, occupational group and education.
- Private sector monthly salaries
- The statistics on private sector monthly salaries describe the numbers and earnings levels of the monthly paid employees of private enterprises and non-profit institutions by occupation, education of occupational group, gender and age.
- Structure of Earnings
- Structural statistics on wages and salaries describe the numbers, hourly and monthly earnings, and the formation and distribution of employees’ wages and salaries in all employer sectors.
- Wage and salary indices
- Wage and salary indices describe the monthly development of the wages and salaries sum in different industries.