The thematic pages on gender equality contain statistical data on the position of women and men, and gender equality in Finland. The pages comprise key statistical data by theme and links to pages of statistics related to various topics and other data sources.
Statistical data on equality between women and men are also available in the publication Gender Equality in Finland 2018.
Statistics Finland’s statistics are principally based on register and survey data that cover the entire population or age groups. The typical source data is the Population Information System. Thus, statistics on gender equality generally deal with the two legally recognized sexes, women and men.
In 2016 to 2017, Statistics Finland chaired the UNSD’s Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Gender Statistics. The expert group coordinates and controls the UN’s Global Gender Statistics Programme. We organised United Nations’ Global Forum on Gender Statistics in Finland on 24 to 26 October 2016 in cooperation with UNSD.
Since 2018, we have co-chaired the UNSD’s Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Gender Statistics together with the Statistics Bureau of Japan. Further information about international cooperation is available on the Links page.
- Women made up 76.8 per cent of adult victims of domestic violence and intimate partner violence. (Statistics Finland 2 Jun 2020)
- EU Gender Equality Index 2019 (EIGE, European Institute for Gender Equality, 15 Oct 2019)
- Gender equality and income distribution in foreign trade – globalization is a manly thing. (Tieto & trendit 26 Sep 2019)
- Background analysis of candidates and elected MPs in the Parliamentary elections 2019 (Statistics Finland / Election statistics 24 May 2019)
- Gender Equality Barometer 2017 (Ministry of Social Affairs and Health 23 Mar 2019)
- She Figures 2018 (European Commission, Research and Innovation 8 Mar 2019)
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics, Tokyo, Japan, 14-16 November 2018
- The Gender Equality in Finland 2018 publication (Statistics Finland 14 Nov 2018)
- The life of women and men in Europe - A statistical portrait - 2018 edition (Statistics Finland and Eurostat 19 Oct 2018)
- Statistics Finland participates in the 100 acts for gender equality project
- Pärnänen, Anna: Zero-hour contracts – uncertainty or desired flexibility? (Tieto & Trendit 11 May 2016)
- Gender statistics (Eurostat Statistics Explained, 8 March 2016)
- Gender Equality in Power and Decision-Making (European Institute for Gender Equality 4 Dec 2015)
- World's Women 2015 (UNSD 20 Oct 2015)
- Over one-half of those with foreign background moved to Finland for family reasons (Statistics Finland / News 15 Oct 2015)
- Around one-quarter of domestic violence and intimate partner violence was directed at children (Statistics Finland / Statistics on offences and coercive measures 28 May 2015)
- Background analysis of candidates and elected MPs in the Parliamentary elections 2015 (Statistics Finland / Election statistics 30 April 2015)
Last updated 11 Aug 2020