News 2 Jun 2022
Finland in Figures 2022 – key figures on Finland and Finns
Statistics Finland’s new Finland in Figures 2022 publication describes us and our society. The pocket-sized publication contains information on the population, economy, society and environment as statistical figures and charts. All persons permanently resident in Finland are included in these statistical figures, as is every home, school, workplace, free-time residence or car.
Extracts from the publication:
• At the end of 2021, the population of Finland was 5,548 241 persons, which is 14,448 more than a year earlier.
• In 2021, a total of 49,594 children were born, which is 3,131 more than in 2020.
• Last year, 8.3 per cent of the population spoke some other language than Finnish, Swedish or Sami as their native language. The highest proportions of foreign-language speakers were those whose native language is Russian, 1.6 per cent, and Estonian, 0.9 per cent of the population.
• The median of full-time wage and salary earners’ total earnings was EUR 3,575 for men and EUR 2,953 for women per month in 2020.
• According to preliminary data, gross domestic product per capita was EUR 45,644 last year.
• Central government debt was EUR 23,149 per capita last year, while ten years before it was EUR 14,749 per capita.
• Altogether 10.9 per cent of the population were at risk of poverty in 2020.
• According to preliminary data, 9.4 per cent of electricity was produced with wind power and 0.4 per cent with solar power last year.
• A total of 38,771 million car kilometres were driven with passenger cars on Finnish roads in 2021.
• Persons aged 15 to 69 spent 19 minutes reading books and 296 minutes on the Internet per day in 2020.
• Finnish enterprises had business activity in 5,360 affiliates located in 136 countries in 2020.
• In 2021, altogether 60,872 enterprises received business subsidies. In 2011, business subsidies were received by 35,108 enterprises.
• The annual change in consumer prices, i.e. inflation, was 2.2 per cent in 2021.
In addition to Statistics Finland’s data, Finland in Figures contains data produced by the National Institute for Health and Welfare, the Natural Resources Institute Finland, Finnish Customs, the Social Insurance Institution, the Finnish Centre for Pensions and the Finnish Immigration Service.
The publications are available in printed form in three languages: Suomi lukuina 2022, Finland i siffror 2022 and Finland in Figures 2022. The publications are available as a PDF publication and as a web service.
The publications can be ordered from PunaMusta Oy’s online store and customer service tel. +358 10 2308 375.
Further information: Planner Sirkku Hiltunen tel. +358 29 551 6373